Friday, March 23, 2007

A few things about ancient gayness

1. So you know how I like to type "gay + ___" (usually soccer) into youtube and see what pops up (haiyo!)? And by "you" I guess I mean me, since apparently I'm the only person that reads this. Anyway, I do like to do that. And this clip I am about to present--a mashup of the trailer for the movie 300 and the song It's Raining Men--is very much like what would happen if I typed in "gay + soldier," "gay + ancient war," etc.

2. Why is it surprising to people that this is quite gay? Ancient Greece was quite possibly the gayest civilization of all time, and in all the best ways. There was even an army once made up entirely of gay couples, the theory being that you would never fight so strongly in battle than when you were protecting someone you loved. Good thinking! I kind of wished I lived back then, but instead of being a girl I would want to be a young prince with curly blonde locks and rippling muscles, a breaker of horses (I spent much of break reading The Odyssey).

3. This video is eerily reminiscent of the hakka, for everyone on Old Meth who is still denying they play a kind of homoerotic sport.

And here it is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

we don't deny it at all. in fact it's the reason we play.

Anonymous said...

You write very well.